Day 8 of Lent: Thursday



...Other seed fell into good soil and brought forth grain, growing up and increasing and yielding thirty and sixty and a hundredfold.’ And he said, ‘Let anyone with ears to hear listen!’ ” ~Mark 4:9



Lisa and Trey

“Deep Roots -—and Growing Still”
by
Lisa Tai Hughes Scudder

When I think of our theme for this Lenten period, I think of Jesus’ journey to the Cross and how my own “journey” has been far different. I was born and raised in the Baptist church, attending church and Sunday School weekly. I also attended St. John Lutheran (a Christian school) where we had chapel every Friday and Religion class daily.  Needless to say, I was exposed very early to the wonderful Bible, Jesus, and His teachings. Most of the people I attended school with had very similar upbringings, so being a disciple wasn’t very hard.  It was easy to spread the Word of God when you didn’t find much opposition to your thoughts and beliefs, unlike what Jesus dealt with through his journey.

Upon graduation from high school I attended the University of Florida, where again I surrounded myself with Christian friends and sorority sisters, but I admit that I wasn’t very good about attending church every Sunday. I was distracted with all the trappings of college ...But I eventually turned around.

My husband and I have really worked to root our relationship in the Lord. We are expecting a little girl this May and I feel my entire outlook on life and the Lord has taken new shape due to this exciting addition to our family. 

I’ve become more involved in the church and want to raise my daughter just how I was raised, putting the Lord first and making him a priority.  Teaching her how to share God’s word with friends and having the confidence in her church family that I truly feel at FUMC, is a major priority for me and my husband.  I’ve completed Bible Studies and am about to start another and I feel that spending the time in the Bible and getting together with other Christian women in our community that attend other churches has brought me closer to the Lord as well as given me the appreciation of others perspectives. 

This new challenge and exiting phase of my life that is quickly approaching (motherhood) has really lit a fire within me to be the best Christian woman and disciple I can be, for my church, my husband, my step-son, as well as my sweet little girl due to arrive in May.  I thank the Lord daily for all the blessings that I’ve been given in my life, first and foremost for Jesus taking his journey to the cross and dying to save my sins.  I have the best family and support system I could ever ask for, they also have a close relationship with the Lord, and I am so thankful for their love and support.  Being a disciple with my “Christian army” family behind me continues to make my “journey” easy, but I’m ready to stand steadfast for the Lord through any trials and I know to lean on Him.  I look forward to continuing and growing my involvement in the church and being a Christian leader and Jesus’ disciple for my friends, church, and family. 


 




Pray:
“God, wherever our lives lead us, teach us to follow you. 
Help us learn to recognize Your Way in every-day miracles like new life and sprouting seeds. 
And wherever we go, help our faith to grow. Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seventh Symbol of the Jesse Tree: 12 Tribes of Israel

Twelfth Symbol of the Jesse tree: Ruth's wheat

Eleventh Jesse Tree Symbol: Gideon's Clay Pitcher