Day 23: Giving Up Fingers for Lent









“And Jesus said, ‘Let the little children come to me; do not stop them; for it is to such as these that the kingdom of God belongs. Truly I tell you, whoever does not receive the kingdom of God as a little child will never enter it.’ And he took them up in his arms, laid his hands on them, and blessed them." ~Mark 10:14-15





“Giving Up Fingers for Lent”
Holland Hatchett’s story (written by her mom, Jennifer)
The night before Ash Wednesday, I spent a bit of time trying to explain the concept of Lent to my daughters, Holland and Keeghan. Given that they are 6 and 4, it was not the easiest job, but I did my best. I asked them if there was something they would like to give up for Lent and Holland asked if she could think about it. Of course I said ‘yes’ so we said our prayers and then off to sleep they went...
The next day,  when I picked up Holland from dance and we were riding home she said "Momma, I have decided what I want to give up for Lent. My fingers."
(What she meant by this is she wants to give up sucking her fingers.) You see, we have been working with her for two years to try to get her to stop sucking her fingers, but when she is scared, worried or tired, they go straight in her mouth. So for her to give up "her fingers" (and to come up with it on her own) was a really big deal. It is a BIG thing for her to give up.
It has been amazing. I have caught her a few times (once or twice) with them in her mouth and all I have said is "Lent."  She smiles and removes them.  I have been so moved by her willingness to give up something for Christ. What a powerful testimony for me that my 6 year old can give up something that she has been struggling to quit! ….What am I willing to give up for Him?

Richard Foster uses the phrase 'ingrained habits' to describe the condition of sin within us. Discipleship, on the other hand, is the gradual process of growing into 'holy habits.' ...I wouldn't classify 'fingers' as sin, but Holland gives us the perfect image of breaking away from old habits in order to 'grow up' in Christ.






Prayer:
Heavenly Father who welcomes children into your arms, teach us to be welcoming too. Teach us to give and receive with the same openness and willingness as Holland. 
Transform our hearts and habits.
                          Amen.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seventh Symbol of the Jesse Tree: 12 Tribes of Israel

Twelfth Symbol of the Jesse tree: Ruth's wheat

Eleventh Jesse Tree Symbol: Gideon's Clay Pitcher