Day 22: First, Last, Servant DAILY









“Then they came to Capernaum; and when he was in the house he asked them, ‘What were you arguing about on the way?’ But they were silent, for on the way they had argued with one another about who was the greatest. He sat down, called the twelve, and said to them, ‘Whoever wants to be first must be last of all and servant of all.’ “ ~Mark 9:33-35




“Following the Cross“ by Barry Shields
I recently sensed the call to start a men’s bible study, so when I put the word out, interest arose from a handful of guys. This lit a fire in me to make this the best bible study ever. I started to envision various outreach projects: car washes for the youth, outings for the elderly, and ways to help homeless men become self-sufficient and connected to the community. I was so excited I could hardly stand it!

As our first meeting drew near, things changed. Two of the men couldn’t attend because of scheduling problems, one moved out of town, and two more just never showed. When the Bible study finally started, there were two of us. Just two.

Distraught, frustrated, and confused, I started questioning my walk. Why was this happening? Had I misunderstood this calling from God? My optimism and faith quickly turned into fear.
 We started meeting weekly, and at first it felt like we were just going through the motions. I still couldn’t understand how my glorious vision could be reduced to just one other person, but little did I know that the real lesson to be taught was within me.

A friend and I were reading Mark 8:23 where Jesus says “to follow me you must deny yourself and pick up your cross—daily.”

Our culture encourages us to reach for the “wow factor” in all we do. Over-achieving is a way of life in America. Everywhere we turn, we are encouraged to “Go for it” to “Just do it.”

…but to deny yourself is to make yourself available. To accept whatever small task or little step God has for you.  There is no room for pride in the kingdom of heaven.

The way to the cross is not the wow factor, so if you sense a call from God and aren’t sure where to start, start small. Don’t wait for Fed-Ex to deliver your staff so you can part the water and save the masses like Moses. Just deny yourself and pick up your cross—DAILY.  God’s pruning is never fun. However, it produces a harvest of righteousness. Keep the faith and God will keep it too.

(By the way, our Bible study is now going great. It has produced a brotherhood that, earlier, I couldn’t see because I was full of pride and selfish intent. Now I see God’s way instead of my own).






Prayer (by Steve Garnass-Holmes):                                                        
   Lord, spare me from the comfort
        that would sedate me,
from the certainty
        that would dull me,
from the beauty
        that would blind me to injustice,
from the peace
        that would hide the world’s grief from me,
from the security
        that would frighten me from the edge of you.

Grant me the blessing
        to be unfinished, discomforted, unknowing,
to be homesick in this world
        for the one within it,
to ache for your little ones,
        to grieve with the Beloved,
to be powerless for your grace,
        to empty myself into your heart.

Lord, spare me from my wishes,
        that I may be free for you.
Spare me from my little self,
        that I may be my divine self.
Spare me from my life, that, dying,
        I may become yours.

Amen.

(Lead Me to the Cross by Hillsong)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seventh Symbol of the Jesse Tree: 12 Tribes of Israel

Twelfth Symbol of the Jesse tree: Ruth's wheat

Eleventh Jesse Tree Symbol: Gideon's Clay Pitcher