Day 11 of Lent:



Now there was a woman ...
She had endured much under many physicians, and had spent all that she had; and she was no better, but rather grew worse. She had heard about Jesus, and came up behind him in the crowd and touched his cloak, for she said,
‘If I but touch his clothes, I will be made well.’
~Mark 5:25-28





“Christ with me. Christ in me.” by Susan Wilson
As I sat in the cold examination room, I was fearful of the words I might hear. 
“Be calm,” I whispered to myself.   
Cancer isn’t a word I had ever considered being a part of my vocabulary.  
“God,” I silently prayed, “please make this O.K.”  

Hoping this puzzling lump was just a big mistake or overreaction, I continued to pray as I sat waiting.  I just wanted my life to be the same as it had been only a week ago.  
Just as I thought I couldn’t wait any longer, Dr. Trigg solemnly walked back into the room and shared the news I didn’t want to hear; he suspected that I had cancer. 
Out of nowhere, my life had taken a sudden, scary turn.


Prayer became my friend and a survival technique that I depended on.  Quietly I would lower my head, close my eyes, and begin talking to God, anytime, anywhere.   

Random people began sending me cards, flowers, gifts, and personal notes.  Suddenly I was filled with gratitude for the many friends, acquaintances, and even strangers that offered their prayers and support.  Until this time in my life, I don’t think I realized the simple forms that discipleship can take in our everyday life. Truly a kind word, phone call, or note in the mail can offer hope when doubt and fear creep in.  

Various times during my life I would think about how good I had it, but the thoughts were fleeting.  Why did it take cancer to make me realize how blessed I am with this life I have been given?  

You have but one life to live. Love, appreciate, and live it deliberately, slowly, and gratefully.  And most of all, follow Christ’s example and take time to be a disciple to someone in need. 

 



An Irish Prayer (from St Patrick's Prayer):

I arise today through a mighty strength:

The invocation of the Trinity,

Through a belief in the Threeness,

Through confession of the Oneness
Of the Creator of creation.

Christ be with me, 
be after me,
be before me,
and be at my right and left hand.
May everything I do be for Christ.

Amen.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seventh Symbol of the Jesse Tree: 12 Tribes of Israel

Twelfth Symbol of the Jesse tree: Ruth's wheat

Eleventh Jesse Tree Symbol: Gideon's Clay Pitcher