Eleventh Jesse Tree Symbol: Gideon's Clay Pitcher

Eleventh Jesse Tree Symbol: Gideon's clay pitcher
The Israelites enter the promised land, but the next generation stops worshipping God. When enemy armies attack and conquer them, the Israelites turn back to God and cry out. God--in grace--raises up a judges (like Gideon) who leads Israel back to victory. 
Gideon 6:11-16, 7:19-23
(or all of 6-8 if you're feeling ambitious)
 

Gideon--Peace by Karlie Harper

I love the story of Gideon because it is an underdog story.
In this story we see a man who is so full of doubt of himself that he does not recognize the Spirit of the Lord sitting right in front of him. For someone like me who battles doubt and anxiety, this story is particularly meaningful. 

In the verses we see the Lord trying to build up Gideon’s courage by calling him a “might warrior” and telling him “Peace, do not be afraid”. But Gideon, not unlike myself, doesn’t listen to his Lord right away. If we read the story we go on to learn how Gideon—the weakest of the weakest, the doubting and full of anxiety, the underdog —defeats  a massive army with 300 men. With no real weapons—only clay pots, torches, and trumpets.
This story resonates with me, because I know that I do my best work for the Kingdom when I push back against the voice telling me that I’m not enough, or that I’m not good enough. Recently a friend came over and watched the kids for Jon and I. To say thank you, I decided to bake him a cake. As I was baking it, I was filled with doubt about my choice. Why would anyone want a cake? What if he hates lemon? He is going to think this was such a stupid idea. I make the worst decisions… and on and on it went.
When I finished the cake, I wanted to throw it in the trash. I walked out of the kitchen and sat down with all of this anxiety building and building inside my head. I wish I could say I had this huge revelation about God and assurance, but I didn’t. I just took the cake and dropped it off, all the while fighting the urge to trash it.
Sometimes, I think, the Spirit of the Lord comes right to us in visible ways and gives us reassurance. And sometimes it’s in the small daily moments that happen without fanfare.  I find such peace knowing that if I am doing God’s work, He will equip me and I do not have to rely on my own strength. So I know that God is going to help me fight my battles, whether they are the size of armies, or 9x13.
_____________________________________________________________________________
Kids Corner

Discussion:
Gideon shouldn't have needed a sign from God. God told him he was the one and he told him he would go with him. Still, Gideon doubted. Did you know that God speaks to us too?  Have you ever been about to do something wrong and you 'feel' like you shouldn't? It's that feeling that tells you not to do something you know is wrong.  Maybe you have a friend at school or a family member that doesn't know about Jesus. Have you ever had a'feeling' that you should tell them about Jesus or ask them to come to church? That feeling is God.  He is talking to you from the inside. The next time you have that 'feeling' listen to it and obey it.  You don't need a sign from God. He is already there telling you what you should do.
Activity:
Trumpets and Clay Jars.  The study of Gideon for Toddlers.  (it is worth the link just to watch the cute video)
Prayer: 

Dear God, we may not fully understand your plans but we know we can trust you. Amen


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seventh Symbol of the Jesse Tree: 12 Tribes of Israel

Twelfth Symbol of the Jesse tree: Ruth's wheat