The Seventh Day of Christmas: A Particular God



Happy are those
   who do not follow the advice of the wicked,
or take the path that sinners tread,
   or sit in the seat of scoffers;
but their delight is in the law of the Lord,
   and on his law they meditate day and night.
They are like trees
   planted by streams of water,
which yield their fruit in its season,
   and their leaves do not wither.
In all that they do, they prosper.
~Psalm 1:1-3
Jeanne and her daughter, Juliana
There is something incredibly rooted about the Christian faith. On one hand, we know that God is in all places and all times,  but on the other,  we know that God is particular. In the form of Jesus, we know that God was in specific times and places. (Just like God promises to be present in specific things like communion and baptism or prayer and Scripture reading.
Jeanne Henningsen has a prayer chair in her home—a specific place where she likes to pray in the morning. The view from this particular place looks out to a large oak tree in the front yard….

The house is quiet and the day is still young. I prepare my tea and settle into my favorite chair. I look out our front window and fix my gaze upon the tree trunk I know so well. It is time to pray…
Oak tree, share with me your wisdom. Help me stay grounded and dig my roots down further so I may connect more deeply with my purpose in this life. Give me your strength and your resilience as I weather life’s high winds and torrential rains.
God, please help me to continue to grow up and out like this towering oak as I reach toward the heavens, blooming, blossoming, shedding what is no longer needed and letting go of what no longer serves me. Please guide me and lead me as I stretch and reach for your truth, your light, and your love.
May your guidance and wisdom flow through me as I interact with others today and please help me be open so I may recognize when your message and direction flows through others.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seventh Symbol of the Jesse Tree: 12 Tribes of Israel

Twelfth Symbol of the Jesse tree: Ruth's wheat

Eleventh Jesse Tree Symbol: Gideon's Clay Pitcher