Day 3 Servant-Hearted



"Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility regard others as better than yourselves. Let the same mind be in you that was in Christ Jesus, who, though he was in the form of God, did not regard equality with God as something to be exploited, but emptied himself, taking the form of a servant, being born in human likeness. And being found in human form, he humbled himself and became obedient to the point of death—even death on a cross...to the glory of God the Father" ~Philippians 2:3-13





Reflection by Sandy Sanders



Ellie, my 3 year old golden retriever, often reminds me of "the perfect servant".  Golden retrievers are pleasers by nature and long for any amount of attention you are willing to give them.

On numerous occasions, I find she  has snuck up behind me and lays quietly, hoping that I will soon notice her, ready to interact with just the slightest bit of attention.  And she's SO patient! In the evenings, she follows me from room to room, and every time we get near where her leash hangs, she stops and looks longingly at me, hoping I will just walk with her.  When I come home, there she is at the door, wagging her tail excitedly and even does a little "dance" to show how much she loves and appreciates my company. 

It is in these times that I often think, if only I could serve God in the same way, quietly waiting for His attention, excitedly anticipating  His coming or just asking if He will walk with me!

….Could THAT be why we imagine animals at the manger?
Is it because they teach us to wait with joyful expectancy?









A Prayer for Animals:
Holy God
who created all things, we thank you for animals.
We thank you for the joy and the wonder they bring to us. 
We pray especially for animals who are suffering;
for animals that are overworked, underfed and cruelly treated;
for any that are lost or deserted or frightened or hungry.
We ask you to hold and care for them in your mercy.
For all who work with animals,
please give them a heart of compassion
and gentle hands and kind words.
Help us to be good to your creatures and your world. Amen.


 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seventh Symbol of the Jesse Tree: 12 Tribes of Israel

Twelfth Symbol of the Jesse tree: Ruth's wheat

Eleventh Jesse Tree Symbol: Gideon's Clay Pitcher