Jesse Tree Symbol #20: Micah's Bethlehem Prophecy

Jesse Tree Symbol #20: Micah's Bethlehem Prophecy



Reflection by Austin Holland
 First Ocala’s youth minister

I’ve always loved the underdog.
Give me a good ‘ol David v Goliath battle and my money is always going to be on David. I naturally cheer for the little one, the weaker one, the longshot, probably because that’s how I grew up .
As the middle of three brothers, (and the only one not 6 feet tall) I have always known what it was like to be sold short. I am no stranger to being told to give up and let one of my bigger, stronger brothers open the jar,to chop the wood, to push the car out of the ditch my mom ran into. This never stopped me from trying (and failing) at most of these things. When ever I tried to open a jar and it flew from my hands or tried to chop wood for the harsh NC winters and instead just got in trouble for making more of a mess than actually helping, my mom wasn’t able to stay mad at me. See, she understood that every Bible story I’d ever been told taught me that God could use someone as tiny and weak as me to do incredible things. She would shake her head, sigh, and help me clean up whatever mess I had made. 
It is this same story that I read in Micah 5: 2-5. The prophet Micah is promising that a Savior will come, but he won’t be born in one of the big cities. No, the Savior, he says, will be born in Bethlehem Ephrathah. The one who would rule over Israel, who would save all of the hebrews would be born in a small town, a throw away city, a middle brother who was 6-inches shorter than everyone else. This is the grand story of the Bible.
God wonderfully and fearfully uses the least socially acceptable, the least expected, the underutilized to change the world. The best part of this scripture come when we are told it is this savior, born in a town of nothingness, will be our peace. This Advent, as we go through this season of learning through underdogs, may you each rest in the fact that Jesus is indeed coming, though not through force or in anger but in love, in patience and in joy.


(pay attention to verse 2):
How silently, how silently
The wondrous gift is given!
So God imparts to human hearts
The blessings of His heaven.
No ear may hear His coming,
But in this world of sin,
Where meek souls will receive him still,
The dear Christ enters in.

 ____________________________________________________________________________

Kids Corner

Discussion: It is easy during this time in December to get lost in all of the hustle and bustle.  Read Micah 5: 2-5 and talk with the family about who is the center of Christmas.

Activity:  This is a simple and great tradition
A Stocking for Jesus:  
http://www.rachaelsbooknook.net/stocking-jesus-new-tradition-bring-christ-back-christmas/

Prayer: Dear God, thank you for sending your son, Jesus to us.  We celebrate Him this Christmas Season.  Amen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seventh Symbol of the Jesse Tree: 12 Tribes of Israel

Twelfth Symbol of the Jesse tree: Ruth's wheat

Eleventh Jesse Tree Symbol: Gideon's Clay Pitcher