Fifth Symbol of the Jesse Tree: Isaac

Fifth Symbol of the Jesse Tree: Isaac (a ram)
(After years of waiting for God’s promise, Abraham and Sarah finally receive a son—Isaac—only to be called to risk his life in a great test of faith. In the end, God provides a different sacrifice so that Isaac would go free.)

Reflection on Isaac
 by John Isaac McCollum

At birth, I was named John Isaac. I have always  cherished the name John for it represented the Beloved One.  I felt it was a special recognition of love bestowed upon me by my parents.

I did not accept the name Isaac so willingly.
It was a strange name with an odd spelling.
It was not until my studies for confirmation did I grow to appreciate the name of Isaac. I learned that Abraham was willing to offer the ultimate sacrifice of his son to God. God sparing Isaac rewarded Abraham’s faith in God.
          I witnessed this faith in God through the actions of my parents. My father was cured of terminal cancer through faith. My mother was raised without a father, survived multiple thyroid surgeries, and withstood the death of a husband and son in the same year.
Her faith did not falter.
I am thankful that I have not been tested as my parents. Yet come what may, I pray that my faith will be as strong as the faith demonstrated by my parents and exemplified by Abraham. Come what may, I know that God will provide.

(more about Isaac and the story of how he met his wife, Rebekah, at the well can be found in Genesis 24)


 __________________________________________________________________

Kids Corner

Discussion:  Abraham worried and wanted his Isaac to have a good wife...so he prayed for it.  Do you pray for things you worry about?  What are some things you worry about? Can you talk to God and pray right now?


Activity: "Godly Play" is a great way to tell Bible stories with little ones.  Even bigger kids enjoy retelling and exploring the stories through things found at home.  Here is a great example of Isaac and Rebecca's story: http://ourcountryroad.blogspot.com/2011/04/isaac-and-rebekah-story-box-godly-play.html?m=1

Prayer: Lord God, thank you for answered prayers. Amen



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Seventh Symbol of the Jesse Tree: 12 Tribes of Israel

Twelfth Symbol of the Jesse tree: Ruth's wheat

Eleventh Jesse Tree Symbol: Gideon's Clay Pitcher