Jesse Tree Symbol #19: Habakkuk's Tower

Jesse Tree Symbol #19: Habakkuk's Watchower






HABAKKUK,STANDING ON THE WATCHTOWER
By Roger Stroud

The nation of Israel was struggling in the time of Habakkuk and he was doubting whether God was ever going to come and deliver them from their oppressors.

“How long, O Lord, must I call for help? 
But you do not listen!” Hab 1:2 NLT.
God responded to Habakkuk, but not in the way that Habakkuk wanted. In his second complaint he asks, 

Will you let them get away with this forever?” Hab 1:17 NLT.

Finally Habakkuk decided to climb up into his spiritual watchtower to wait upon the Lord.

Like Habakkuk, we should be patient in waiting on God to act on our entreaties. Not only are we to watch and wait, but, truly I believe God waits in His Watchtower patiently looking out, waiting and longing for us to repent and turn back to Him.

As a Christian who has had an addiction to alcohol for 30 years, God waited and I am sure said “How long, O Roger until you call for help?”
God showed me long ago that this addiction was not in His plan for me, and I could not be used fully in service for Him until I surrendered myself and my addiction to His will.
Stubborn as I am, I kept rejecting His pleas to me.

But, praise God, He introduced me to a pastor who got me back in church from a hiatus of seven years. This pastor’s church was not the destination at which God wanted me, but was a Godly depot to transfer to where He wanted me to serve. Just as we feel the point of someone’s finger poking us in the ribs, I physically felt God poking me until He led me to the video on FUMC Ocala’s website about the Tuesday Morning Ministry and came to this church.

Did I immediately surrender my addiction to Him and life was good? 
No! But, He came down from that watchtower and walked with me and worked with me until I knew it was time, actually past time, to surrender.


Praise his Holy Name, he directed me to pastors, fellow Christians and friends who did not judge me, but loved me and prayed me through this journey.

As of this writing, I have been alcohol free for over 5 weeks and He has steadfastly been my Guide and Shield and has led others to be Prayer Warriors with me to hold me up to His grace and to hold me accountable. I know there will be temptations and trials as I continue my journey, but like Habakkuk I will praise the Lord even when “the fig trees have no blossoms”, for “The Sovereign Lord is my strength!” Hab 3: 17a and 19a NLT.

So, no matter the sin, no matter how long you have been resisting His will, He is always there waiting for you to turn back to His love. Take a moment now and surrender to the finger poking you.




____________________________________________________________________________

Kids Corner

Discuss:
Habakkuk is a prophet who asked God questions (like why do bad things happen in God's world?). Discuss asking God questions. Make a list of the questions Habakkuk asked God. Then make a list of questions the you and your family would ask God.

Participate:
This is a fun activity using Christmas snacks you have around the house.  Build a watchtower using sugared jellys, marshmallows and toothpicks.  How high can you go? 

Pray: Dear God, we know that when we ask to be near you we are.  What a wonderful promise from you.  Amen



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Seventh Symbol of the Jesse Tree: 12 Tribes of Israel

Twelfth Symbol of the Jesse tree: Ruth's wheat

Eleventh Jesse Tree Symbol: Gideon's Clay Pitcher